HISTORY OF FELDMAR WATCH COMPANY
One hundred years. Time enough for generations to pass, for industries to grow and prosper, for an entire world to change. There’s an elusive magic surrounding a century; few things have the fortitude to endure that span of time. Those who go the distance are touched by this magic, gifted with a rare determination. As Feldmar Watch Company celebrates its 100th Anniversary, one thing is abundantly clear; theirs is no ordinary business.
Feldmar Watch Company evolved through a legacy of family values that stretches back to the beginning of the 20th century. Through 100 years of determination and exceptional service, Feldmar Watch Company has earned a respected place in the industry while remaining firmly rooted in the history of its past.
It began in 1913, when Hungarian immigrant Jack Feldmar started a repair business fixing the broken, relinquished watches of Newark, New Jersey pawnshops. He repaired neglected timepieces for 15¢ apiece. When Jack’s wife became ill, the family relocated to Los Angeles where Jack established his own shop downtown on 4th and Broadway and continued working with pawnshop owners. Jack educated his son Barney in the art of watchmaking and repair, and the two formed a partnership that would become the foundation for the present day Feldmar Watch Company.
After the company relocated to their current store site on West Pico Boulevard in 1956, Jack retired from the watchmaking trade, leaving the company in the capable hands of Barney and his wife, Harriet. The Feldmar family business had staying power, mainly due to its understanding of what clients wanted from a watch purveyor. Specializing in stopwatches became an asset for Feldmar with the advent of timed sporting events. With the largest selection of stopwatches and the expertise to repair and maintain them, Feldmar produced the acclaimed booklet, "Timing in the World of Sports."
Another shining moment in Feldmar’s 100-year history arrived with the first electronic watch, the Bulova Accutron, in the 1960s. The Accutron’s precision meshed perfectly with a timing company, so Bulova appointed Feldmar as the Accutron Center for the Los Angeles area. In due course, Feldmar became the number one Accutron Center in the United States, building further notoriety and strength.
In the early 70s, the Feldmar’s son-in-law, Sol Meller, joined the business. Sol, a passionate watch enthusiast, also knew the importance of excellent customer service. As the driving force behind the company’s development, Sol built upon the existing foundation and led the company to be named one of L.A.’s fastest-growing businesses.
Feldmar Watch Company still embraces the family values that got them where they are today, while continuing to cultivate new business possibilities. Sol’s son, Scott, has emerged as a confident leader, seizing development opportunities and ensuring that service remains a priority. One of Feldmar’s more recent endeavors is "HMS" (Hours Minutes Seconds), a luxury boutique within the Beverly Hilton, home to Hollywood’s Golden Globe Awards. With Scott Meller at the helm of this exciting addition, the company transferred its dedication to quality into the realm of Hollywood luxury.
Feldmar Watch Company is proud to be an authorized dealer for every brand in their showroom. This distinction gives the clientele peace of mind that all warranties and services are guaranteed by both the manufacturer and Feldmar’s trained professionals. When you purchase a timepiece or accessory from Feldmar Watch Company, you receive the very best in products, services and customer satisfaction.
The highly-trained staff have serviced and repaired quality timepieces for an entire century. They take pride in the skill of their watchmakers, who regularly work on both cutting edge and vintage timepieces. Feldmar Watch Company stocks factory original parts and is able to provide free repair estimates while customers wait. Any brand carried in the showroom is a brand they can handle, from streamlined quartz movement watches to unique automatic complications.
In celebration of its 100th year, Feldmar Watch Company has recently completed the remodeling and expansion of the flagship store at 9000 West Pico Boulevard. Featuring an even greater selection of timepieces including Breguet and Omega Salons, and an impressive showroom of over 10,000 square feet. The improvements pay homage to Feldmar’s illustrious history and commitment to its customers.
As the decades passed, Feldmar Watch Company continually reinvented itself to keep up with the times, never abandoning the essence of the company’s core values. Jack Feldmar had a vision in 1913, and he passed it on through generations to create a thriving business empire. Feldmar’s formidable family bond, unwavering work ethic and visionary business acumen allowed the company to excel in a challenging retail industry.
At Feldmar Watch Company, you will certainly find the luxury timepieces and customer service that has made them the premier watch purveyor in Los Angeles. But, you will also get a glimpse of an American success story, living proof of how a dream can be brought to fruition by those willing to roll up their sleeves and fight for success. This is the story of how one ordinary man created one extraordinary company 100 long years ago. This is, indeed, a story of greatness.
Happy 100th Anniversary to Feldmar Watch Company…truly ahead of our time since 1913.